It may be an underrated tourist destination at this time, but it shouldn’t be! Slovenia and Ljubljana are absolutely amazing. Slovenia has stunning cities and immaculate middle earthy national parks that make for great day trips.
What to Bring What to Know Where to Stay
Day 1: Arrival
Right when you get off the airplane, prepare to be awed by the stunning city and natural beauty of Slovenia.
- SOD: Arrive at the Ljubljana Joze Pucnik Airport and pick up a rental car
- Walk the city without stumbling into anything too time-consuming, you’ll save those for later. Some of the notable sites to see are the Franciscan Church of the Annunciation, the Ljubljana Cathedral, and the Triple Bridge
- EOD: Enjoy the Ljubljana nightlife on in one of the main areas of bars that is Slovenska Cesta
Day 2: In the Hearth of Ljubljana
A lot of this trip is outside of Ljubljana as you’ll be in awesome places like Bled and down south embracing nature in mystic caves. So while you’re in the city, you’ll want to hit all the sights and use your time wisely.
- SOD – 10:00: Walk across the iconic Butcher’s Bridge, which is covered in padlocks to symbolize love and unity, it’ll be a great way to start the day and leads directly into one of the action areas of the city
- 10:01 – 12:00: Have a nice open meal and socialize with the locals at and the Slovenian Central Market
- 12:01 – 13:00: You may have glimpsed over it on your first night of strolling through the city, but now with a full day at hand visit the tourist friendly Robba Town Square
- 13:20 – 15:45: How does a quick drive to a nice hike with a great view sound? Check out the city in the sky of Smarna Gora, which sits on top of the lonely Mount Saint Mary Hill
- 16:00 – 18:00: Return back to the city for another adventure. Schedule an awesome paddle board tour on the Ljubljana river where you’ll wade right up to sites around the city like the Ljubljana Castle, Triple Bride, the mighty dragon statues, and more
- EOD: End a busy and satisfying day by letting loose in the city by roaming the streets
Day 3: Predjama
Sometimes wandering around a forging country can be a little intimidating so having a guided tour is always a plus. On day three you’ll be heading down south for some outdoorsy adventures.
- SOD – 10:00: Hopefully the first day didn’t wear you out! Arise from your slumber and grab a good breakfast and head over to Predjama Castle
- 11:00 – 14:00: Hop in the car and drive to the cold and dreary but remarkable Predjama Castle, which is built right into a large cave
- 14:30 – 17:00: Explore the depths of Slovenia in the Skocjan Caves. These caves are massive and abundant with high underground bridges that look over seemingly abysses, stalagmites, stalagmites, and waterbeds
- 18:30 – EOD: Drive back to Ljubljana and enjoy the city at night
Day 4: Bleed Bled
Bled is an amazing place in Slovenia the town and activities make it one of the most popular places to visit in the entire country. If you wish to drive a little further you can visit the Triglav National Park.
- SOD: – 9:30: Drive up North from Ljubljana for another day outside
- 10:15 – 14:30: Get to Bled! There are many trails in this wondrous place, but one of the most popular is the Vintgar Gorge hike which is known for its scenic passing over crystal clear water
- 14:40 – 19:00: After a bit of sweating on the trail go and relax by the water; but don’t stop there! Make your way via canoe, kayak, boat, or even paddle board to Bled Island, and explore the beautiful Bled Cathedral
- 19:10 – 21:00: Hang out at the Bled Castle and maybe have a meal at the restaurant up there. Sitting on top of such a spectacular place with a stunning view will surely be a great way to end the day
- 21:50 – EOD: Return to Ljubljana for a good nights sleep
Day 5: City
With your newfound appreciation for Slovenia, take some time to learn about its history by visiting some of its many great museums. Also, take your final full day in Slovenia to buy any souvenirs you’ve been eyeing.
- SOD – 10:30: Start your final day in the nice plaza of Congress Square. There are lots of stores and restaurants here, so it’ll be a nice place to stay around awhile
- 10:32 – 14:00: After experiencing some of the country first hand, get to know it’s history at the National Museum of Slovenia and Slovenian Museum of Naturel History
- 14:05 – 17:00: Walk a little bit more through the city neighborhoods on your way to the Ljubljana Zoo
- 17:00 – EOD: It’s a bit of a far walk from the zoo to Metelkova, so take a cab or grab your car. Metelkova is a young and artsy area of Ljubljana where you’ll have a great time partaking in the nightlife
Day 6: Departure
It’s probably impossible to be satisfied with only a six-day trip to Slovenia but this was a great first taste! Learn what else there is to see in this great country and plan a second visit, maybe to Trieste or Maribor next.
- SOD: Pack your bags and souvenirs and drive to the airport
- EOD: Enjoy the city for as long as you can before departure, then go back to the Ljubljana Joze Pucnik Airport