Get the true Iceland experience with all the hot springs, horses, and city life without straying too far away from base camp in Reykjavik.
*Extra: Rental Car or Ride-Hailing Service Required. For free travel codes, click here.
DAY 1: Arrival
Settle into the famous city of Reykjavik, and get comfortable with your new surroundings. Reykjavik is a very walkable city filled with friendly tourists. Be sure to get your fix of Iceland’s famous hotdogs before it’s too late!
- See notable Reykjavik sites such as Hallgrimskirkja, Harpa music hall, the Phallus Museum, and Sun Voyager
DAY 2: Dipping your toe in the Waterfalls
Brace yourself for the first day of Iceland outdoors activities! During this day and throughout the trip you’ll want to stop on the road and play with welcoming horses grazing along the fences.
- 10:30: Depart from Reykjavik
- 11:30 – 12:00: Gaze over the stunningly blue water at Hraunfossar Waterfall
- 16:30 – 18:30: Arrive in Grundarfjörður and see the scenic Kirkjufell waterfall and mountain
- 20:00: Arrive back in Reykjavik for dinner and enjoy the nightlife
DAY 3: A Perfect Golden Circle
Iceland’s famous Golden Circle is a 300km route that takes you right to some of Iceland’s most popular sites; driving through all of it without stopping only takes around 3 hours. There are also lots of organized excursions to do along the Golden Circle; such as snorkeling between the American and Eurasian tectonic plates at Silfra.
- 9:30 – 10:30: Wake up and gather energy for a long day with a filling breakfast
- 10:30: Leave Reykjavik and head out to Thingvellir national park where the Golden Circle is located.
- 11:00 – EOD: The destinations below are ordered in based on driving efficiency
- 11:00 – 11:45: Flosagja Fissure/entrance of Thingvellir
- 12:00 – 15:00: Snorkeling in Silfra
- 15:05 – 15:40: Oxararfoss Waterfall
- 15:45 – 17:00: Geysir, for a quick bite, there are a few restaurants in this area
- 17:15 – 18:00: Gullfoss Waterfall
- 18:10 – 19:00: Faxi Waterfall
- 19:20 – 22:00: Go night swimming in the secret Lagoon/Gamia Laugin hot spring
- 22:00 – 22:35: Drive back to Reykjavik
DAY 4: Journey Down South
Spend more time in Iceland’s great outdoors on your journey down south to the coastal town of Vik.
- 10:30: Depart from Reykjavik
- 11:30 – 14:30: Trek the popular Reykjadur hike. This hike is 1/1.5 hours in the town of hveragerði. The hike inclines through a geyser and hot spring filled mountainside until you reach a docked hot spring at the end; so bring a bathing suit! The hike and the town can both be found through Google Maps.
- 15:30 – 16:30: View the Selijalandsfoss Waterfall and bask in its glory
- 16:50 – 17:50: Visit the Skogafoss waterfall, which is one of the mightiest waterfalls in Iceland
- Arrive at Vik and check in to your hotel, hostel or Airb&b. The town of Vik is small but enjoyable to walk around
DAY 5: Hitting the Rest Back North
Wake up early to catch a sunrise on the legendary black sand beaches of Reynisdrangar and check off the sites that were missed on the drive down to Vik.
- 7:00 Depart from hotel, hostel or Airb&b
- 7:20 – 8:30: Arrive at the black sand beaches of Reynisdrangar. Climb the staircase structure rocks, go into the Halensfshellir cave and see the sunrise over the ocean
- 8:50 – 10:30: Park on the side of the road and walk the paved path to the Solheimasandur plane crash. The walk is about 2 miles long each way, but totally worth it
- 11:00 – 12:00: Take a swim in the gorgeous Eyjafjallajokull Saljavallalaug pool. This pool has been around for hundreds of years and used to be where people learned to swim. There is about a 30-minute walk to the pool, but once you’re there, there are changing stalls. Be sure to take any trash you have out with you
- 14:30 – EOD: Arrive in Reykjavik and once again get grounded with everything Iceland’s capital has to offer.
DAY 6: Take it all on from the Blue Lagoon
You’ve been to waterfalls, hot springs, and places you’ll never be able to pronounce. Now, on your last full day in Iceland relax in the world famous blue lagoon, sit back in one of the zero gravity chairs and think back on everything you’ve done in only five days.
- Enjoy another full Reykjavik Day and see some more notable city sites. Some other sites include the National Museum of Iceland, Vikin Maritime museum, Reykjavik Botanical Garden, the Volcano house, and more
- 17:00 – 22:00: Relax at the Blue Lagoon Hot Springs
DAY 7: Departure
Say goodbye to friends you’ve made along the way and return that overpriced rental car.
- On your way to the airport, you may visit the Viking World Viking Museum only 10 minutes away from the KEF airport
- Get in all the last sites and have an extra hot dog before leaving this great country!
Estimated Cost: $600