Norway is big. Norway has lot’s to do. Norway will rock your world. For this trip, you’ll be taking lots of ferries to get across the various fjords. You’ll find and meet great people in areas that seem remote. This is a jammed packed itinerary and it will be easy to stay longer than you should at the sights, but remember without a tent you may not want to be caught outside with no light or shelter.
Day 1: Arrival
Your first thoughts on landing in Norway do not do justice to what you are about to see!
- Arrive at the Bergen Airport and prepare to embark on the adventure of a lifetime! For this trip, you’ll need to rent a car – be sure to rent one with limitless miles as you’ll be doing a lot of driving
- Spend your first night in the nice city of Bergen. Depending on when you get in, you may have the chance to see a lot of the city. But if you don’t no worries, day two and day ten are dedicated to seeing the city
Day 2: First Day in the City
Bergen is a nice city and a popular Norwegian destination. During your time here stroll through the city and pick up any last minute supplies for your multi-day road trip.
- SOD – 11:00: You can leave the car behind for now and start the day by seeing Bryggen, a historic area of the city, which consists of many historic buildings right on the water; this is a great area for breakfast
- 11:03 – 12:00: Learn about Vikings in the Bryggens Museum
- 12:04 – 13:15: A small sight compared the natural wonders you’ll be seeing, but since you’re in Bergen, it’s worth the visit! Go to the Bergenhus Fortress, which is one of Norway’s oldest and best-preserved fortresses
- 13: 22 – 14:30: Along with seeing the sights just by strolling through the city go through the Hanseatic Museum and Schotstuene
- 15:15 – 17:00: Ride to the top of Mount Floyen by a convenient train to oooh and ahhh at the picture friendly and wonderful view
- 17:30 – EOD: Enjoy the rest of the night before starting your road trip!
Day 3: Road Tripping
The first day of your road trip will right off the bat take you to some of Norway’s greatest sights. The Preikestolen cliff will be a great first set of outdoorsy pictures to post to Instagram!
- SOD – 10:00: Roaming around cities are always fun, and that’s why you’ll be coming back! Pack your things and depart out for your first full day outdoors
- 10:25 – 12:00: You’ve probably seen it in your research on what to do for a vacation in Norway, and well this itinerary will take you to the most highly recommended sight. The amazing Preikestolen cliff is a perfect area where you can look over the edge to the endless miles of natural beauty
- 13:20 – 13:40: Head east to the torvikbygd ferry which will put you on the path for your first national park
- 14:10 – 18:00: At the Folgefonna National Park you have many paved hikes to choose from. You can hike to the Bondhusdalen Valley, go to Langfoss, explore the Falls Geological Trail in Nordrepollen, and more! You can’t go wrong
- 18:30 – EOD: Spend a night in the town of Lofthus. This town is popular for cruises to stop at
Day 4: Natural Beauty
As you get closer to the main Fjords of Norway, the scenery changes from grassy plains and ice sheets to lush green and baby blue oases.
- SOD – 9:00: Grab a quick bite and depart from Lofthus
- 10:00 – 11:30: Trolltunga cliff is one of the most scenic places you’ll ever see in your life. Even if this seems a bit out of the way, it is a place you need to go to
- 12:50 – 16:00: Enjoy the wilderness of the immaculate Hardangervidda National Park. The scenery here is absolutely otherworldly. There are many hikes to choose from or you can wander off
- 16:40 – 18:00: What’s all this nature without seeing a good waterfall up close and in person? Drive to the Voringfossen Waterfall for 600 feet of awesomeness
- 19:00 – EOD: Enjoy the cute town of Vossevangen, which is where you’ll be spending your night. In Vossevangen, you’ll probably find a couple of tourists in the area you can chat with
Day 5: The Road Trip Treks On!
Day five and still going strong, as you drive from sight to sight you’ll also have many opportunities to break up the driving at small detours such as the Stegastien lookout.
- SOD – 10:00: As much as you’ll want to take it slow and spend some more time in Vossevangen. There’s a lot to see today, so grab a good breakfast and head out on the road
- 11:10 – 12:30: Prepare for a morning wake-up call, as you get drenched at the Rjoandefossen Falls. This massive waterfall will douse you with mist
- 13:00 – 14:00: Break up your driving and look off into the large word at the Stegastien lookout
- 14:00 – 18:00: Now from where you were looking down at, now it’s time to look up. Drive to the bottom of the Naeroyfjord and relax with the fjords. This is a popular area for canoe and kayak trips
- 18:15 – EOD: Go to one of the coolest towns in all of Norway at Gudvangen. Gudvangen is a lovely town right in the heart of nature. A massive cliff stands in its background and gives the area a perfect charm
Day 6: Moving Across the Country
Keeping in stride and savoring every moment you get in this great country. Push your rental car and drive around to the spectacles of Norway.
- SOD – 13:00: Feel free to take is easy and spend some extra time in Gudvangen. Walk around the nice town and catch your energy for another day of adventure
- 14:20 – 16:30: You definitely should be taking some stops to enjoy the nature as you pass by on your drive from Gudvangen to Kaupanger. Once you arrive at Kaupanger, you’ll find yourself in another jaw-dropping slide of heaven. A popular destination for this area is the Kaupanger Stave Church
- 17:00 – EOD: What may look like a town lost in time, walk closer and you’ll find that Solvorn has its areas of elegance. From the high-end restaurants to the astoundingly nice hotels. You should also take some time to walk on the boardwalk next to the colorful boathouses on the very blue water.
Day 7: Jotunheimen Will Take your Breath Away
A bit of a long drive today, but it will all be worth it from the time you’ll be spending in the Jotunheimen National Park. The park is 444 miles long and packed with areas to partake in outdoor activities.
- SOD – 11:30: Enjoy a lazy start on your departure from Solvorn, but brace yourself for a long car ride coming up
- 14:00 – EOD: There are endless amounts of activities in the Jotunheimen National Park to keep you busy. You can hike, horse ride, kayak, or even climb the Galdhopiggen mountain. At the park you
Day 8: Hiking Highs
One day is not enough in Jotuenheim, and now that you’ll have a full day you can go truly exploring. The Beseggen hiking trail is highly recommended and will lead you to some of the greatest views in the world.
- SOD – 18:00: One day is not enough at the Jotunheimen National Park, and that’s why you have a full day to take your time on everything. A recommended hike is the Besseggen trail, which will take you up large hills and to look down from astonishing views of the National Park
- 19:40 – EOD: Spend the night in another cozy town of Loen. Loen is the easternmost end of the Nordfjorden
Day 9: Heading Home
Before getting in your car and finishing the last section of driving for this road trip. Spend some extra time in Loen to enjoy the hikes and other activities the town has to offer.
- SOD – 17:00: Don’t leave Loen just yet! Loen is known for is local hiking; the hiking around the town has many guided tours where you’ll scale up the mountain. While climbing up the mountain you’ll be swinging through rope courses and rope bridges
- 19:40 – EOD: Get comfortable in the nicer town of Forde, but not too comfortable, since you’ll be leaving early tomorrow morning
Day 10: Back in Bergen
You’ve got to wake up early so you’ll be in Bergen for enough of the day to enjoy the city one last time. During your final stay here check out any of the sights you wanted to see but missed and don’t be shy at the souvenir shops!
- SOD – 10:00: Depart from Forde early so you can spend your last day back in Bergen
- 13:00 – EOD: Enjoy a final day at the place where it all began in Bergen
Day 11: Departure
After being in nature so long it might feel nice to be back in the city, but bittersweet knowing this is your last day in Norway.
- Bye bye Bergen
- Return your car and depart from the Bergen Airport